JioStar seeks Rs 250 mn in alleged Bollywood film rights dispute with Zee Entertainment

The legal battle between media giants Jiostar and Zee Entertainment Enterprises seems to be intensifying. According to an exclusive report by Reuters, JioStar has initiated legal proceedings against Zee Entertainment over the alleged unauthorized telecast of several Bollywood films, the rights of which were allegedly held by the Reliance-Disney-backed company.

JioStar seeks Rs 250 mn in alleged Bollywood film rights dispute with Zee Entertainment: Report

JioStar seeks Rs 250 mn in alleged Bollywood film rights dispute with Zee Entertainment: Report

According to the report, JioStar filed a petition on May 4 before the Delhi High Court Legal Services Committee, which acts as an arbitration and dispute resolution body aimed at facilitating an amicable resolution between the parties. The case is now scheduled to be heard on May 25, with Zee asked to appear before the committee. The documents reportedly state that failure to appear may be construed as a refusal to participate in the arbitration process.

In its alleged 120-page petition, JioStar has accused Zee of telecasting 12 different Bollywood movies around 20 times without permission. The titles of the films reportedly include superstars Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan. The Reliance-led company reportedly described Zee as a “habitual infringer” and alleged that the broadcaster had been “engaging in unauthorized telecast and exploitation of films”.

The Reuters report further states that the dispute over these film rights relates to more than a dozen legal notices and letters exchanged between the two companies since February 2025. Sources familiar with the matter have reportedly claimed that JioStar may seek compensation of more than Rs 250 million, which is approximately $2.61 million, although the final compensation amount has not been confirmed yet.

The films reportedly mentioned in the petition include the 1975 classic Wall Starring Amitabh Bachchan, as well Trinity. JioStar has claimed that it owns the rights to these films and alleged that Zee has aired them without permission.

However, Zee reportedly responded by saying that the broadcasts were “unintentional and unintentional”. The company also said it would exercise caution moving forward, while denying liability for the damages being sought.

This latest development comes at a time when the two entertainment giants are already involved in multiple legal disputes. The two companies are currently engaged in a separate $1 billion arbitration battle in London linked to the collapse of the cricket licensing agreement in 2024, the report said.

In another ongoing dispute, Zee Entertainment reportedly filed a lawsuit against JioStar in April 2026 over alleged unauthorized use of copyrighted music. In that case, Zee is reportedly seeking damages of $3 million, alleging that JioStar has used its music content at least 50 times after the licensing agreement ended.

JioStar was formed in 2024 following the $8.5 billion merger of the Indian media assets of Reliance Industries and Disney. The company currently remains the largest player in India’s estimated $30 billion media and entertainment market. According to Reliance, JioStar has 34.2 percent share of the Indian television market, while Zee claims its own market share has reached a four-year high of 18 percent.

Neither JioStar nor Zee Entertainment commented officially on the matter.

More Songs You May Like:

Leave a Comment